Here are a few of the most common questions we are asked about managing your rental unit.

How can Hazelrig Enterprises help me as an owner?

· We manage every aspect of keeping your vacation rental booked and ready for guests and owners to enjoy. Our goal is to enable you to make the most revenue from your rental without having to do any of the busy work involved with managing it. That means we do everything from taking photos, writing descriptions, and marketing it to potential guests as well as managing logistics like reservations, payments, check-in and check- out, housekeeping, light upkeep, and dispatching emergency maintenance. We can also manage handymen for regular maintenance, improvements, and emergencies. We make sure home owners can sleep well at night knowing their rental is being taken care of and generating the most revenue possible.

What do you charge for this service?

· Local commission rates for property manager services average roughly 40%. With additional fees and charges (such as linen fees, maintenance fees, etc.) it is not uncommon for an owner to be billed an additional 20%. So, basically, .60 of every $1 earned on your unit stays with the property manager!! Hazelrig Enterprises provides full service management without cutting any corners for only 25% commission! If at any time you are unhappy with our service, you are free to break your contract.

How easy is it to get started?

· Getting started is easy and risk-free. We can activate homes that are existing vacation rentals usually within a couple days. Although we request a yearly contract, our contract has no minimum term or volume commitments, or start-up fees. Activation includes shooting new photos, putting together detailed listings, setting pricing, activating advertising on the main internet channels and beginning to take reservations - all in as little as a few days! This can take longer given a home owner's schedule, or if a home is in the process of being converted from a residence or long-term rental. If you do not like the service at any point you can terminate without penalty.

What kind of contract do I need to sign?

· Our contract is an open-book and we believe it should not have any onerous clauses. It is straight-forward and always posted online to view. It includes a 30 day out clause for any reason - if you are not happy with the service you can leave with a month's notice. Please contact us and we will be happy to send you our agreement for your review.

Do I have to commit to a certain amount of availability?

· No, however we do require that all homes that wish to use Hazelrig Enterprises are year-round rentals. There is no problem with an owner, friends or family using a rental for weeks or even months at a time, however if you plan to only make it available occasionally then your home probably is not right for our program. We also reserve the right to cancel a homeowner agreement if the home is predominantly unavailable for bookings.

Is there anything I am required to have at my home?

· Guests expect a fully-functioning home when they arrive complete with furniture, appliances, cookware, glasses, silverware, internet, TV, etc. Hazelrig Enterprises will supply a standard supply of bed linens, bath and hand towels and typical consumables like light-bulbs and batteries. We will work with you to make sure that you have everything in place. Internet connections are required at every home - TV can be optional in certain rural areas. Nicely decorated homes tend to command higher rentals and we always encourage owners to have a home that shows well. A good test of whether or not you need to have something in your rental is to put yourself in a guest’s shoes… If you were staying somewhere for a week long period of time, what would you expect to have in that rental home… that is what we aim to provide to guests for their stay.

Do I need to have a traditional phone line/land-line installed?

· No, a land line is not necessary unless you wish to have one for your own personal stays. While we require wifi to be available, we do not require a land line. Virtually all guests come equipped with mobile phones and the expense of maintaining a land line just for guest use is not needed.

How do you advertise my rental and do I need to pay for this?

· Hazelrig Enterprises pays for all advertisements on the major HomeAway sites (, VRBO,, we list your property on roughly 14 other optional sites like Tripadvisor and Flipkey as well, we also list it on and on Craigslist as well. We handle it all along with synchronizing your availability calendar.

What if I already have listed my home on those sites?

· Many owners have already created listings. We will work with you to migrate them over to our managed account and we will go through them to professional rewrite the listing if necessary, to add or improve the photos and to configure the listing to synchronize the pricing and calendar across all of the many sites we plan on listing your rental.

Do I need to provide you with photographs?

· If you would like for us to advertise with your photos, that will work perfect. If you do not have photos of your place, we will take care of that and make sure they look fantastic online.

How do guests pay you?

· We support credit card processing through our booking website at Travelers can pay with debit or credit cards, mail or mail check or money orders. We do not take cash. Credit card companies do charge for their service, so we add a service charge on to the final cost of the stay paid by the guest.

How do guests contact you?

· We have several ways for guests to communicate with us. First is our website and email, second we have people ready to answer the phone around the clock.

Can guests book my property online?

· Yes they can, although virtually all guests begin with an email or phone call we do allow them to view a property online, and to book it and pay for it online. We actually encourage online bookings.

How do you deal with advanced deposits?

· We require that ½ of the booking be paid in advance. We do allow guests to pay the remainder at a later time. Guests must be paid in full at least 14 days. Once the guest has paid in full, they receive an email with a code generated for their stay.

When do I get paid for reservations?

· We currently pay owners once a month. We try and have both the checks in the mail or the money directly deposited into your account by the 2 nd of the month. We know owners may have payments they must make and try to have the money in your hands as timely as possible.

What if I already had bookings made on my property?

· No problem, Hazelrig Enterprises will charge a reduced rate of 10% if you would like us to manage those guests (i.e. additional collections, customer service, check-ins, check-outs, scheduling cleaning, etc). We will work with you to get all the details we need and we will fully manage these bookings for you just like any booking we made. We may need to collect the cleaning fee from the owner as well as taxes to remit assuming those amounts have already been paid. If not, we can collect on any amounts outstanding as well. If you wish to manage the guest, or your former property manager will do it on your behalf, we will block those bookings off in our calendar and no charges will apply.

Why do you do commission-based pricing?

· Commission-based pricing is the industry-standard for vacation rental property management firms. That does not necessarily mean it is the only answer - but we believe that it perfectly aligns our incentives with our homeowners. We only make money when our owners make money, and the only way to increase our revenue is to help owners increase theirs. We believe this is why the commission model has worked and is so well established in the industry.

What kind of reporting do I get on my unit?

· Initially you will get a monthly statement from us that details out how much rental revenue you earned, includes details on how much tax we collected and will pay on your behalf, as well as any charges that you have incurred during the month (for example if you want it cleaned for your own stay, or if you had us install a new TV, etc.)

Do I have to handle paying any lodging taxes?

We collect the taxes, put them into our owner escrow-style account, and remit on your behalf. Each reservation has taxes added to the amount of the rental - so when you see a rental dollar amount, you can rest assured that we have collected and will remit tax on top of that - you do not need to send us extra money to pay taxes nor do you need to file with your lodging authority.

What about cleaning fees?

· Guests pay us directly for cleaning fees, and we pay the cleaners. There is nothing you need to do to schedule them or pay for them.

Do I need to do my own laundry?

· No, our cleaning fees cover laundry service for linens with every clean. Our cleaners will either do it on-site if time permits or bring it to a laundry facility as a back-up.

Do I need to provide all the amenities every time a guest stays like soap, paper towels, toilet paper?

· Hazelrig Enterprises provides these items. We require our vacation rental homes come with an initial set of amenities so when guests arrive, they don’t need to head straight to a market. That set includes a couple rolls of toilet paper per bathroom, a roll of paper towels, small sizes of soap, shampoo, and conditioner, and dish soap in the kitchen. Hazelrig Enterprises has a partner company, Peoples Janitorial, where we are able to obtain these items.

What if I want to do some decorating on my own?

· We love it when owners stay involved with decorating and improving their home. Just make sure to check that the home is not booked and you can easily access it whenever you want!

What happens if there is an emergency? Who does the guest call?

· The guest always calls Hazelrig Enterprises. The guest actually never knows the name of the owner for privacy reasons (unless you really want us to tell them). We take the call and dispatch the appropriate handyman. We pay the handyman and then put the bill onto your home owner statement taking out of the revenue owed to you during the month - that way you don't have to worry about paying out-of-pocket for anything unless it happens to be a major repair.

How do you deal with noisy guests?

· We require renters to be at least 25 years old, and we have a strict policy of evicting them upon any sign of noise, partying, or over-occupancy. Parties do happen and we want people to enjoy themselves, however we do not tolerate abuse at the properties and contractually have heavy measures in place to evict and charge additional fees. If we receive multiple noise complaints about a guest, we will send over the police and attempt to remove the guest from the property for the remainder of the stay.

Do owners have to allow pets?

· No, that is up to each individual owner and resort policies. In general, we encourage it as homes simply get more demand if they allow pets, but we understand many owners do not want to allow them and that is fine. We do charge guests an additional non-refundable $100 rent per stay ($200 for 3+ bedroom homes) for pets to ensure that an owner’s home is fully cleaned and any damage caused by the pet gets billed to the guest. This fee gets paid as additional rent, so the majority will go to the owner.

Please note,if there are specific rules for the resort in which your unit resides, we abide by the resort rules. If the resort is pet free, the unit will be pet free.

What about regular maintenance?

· Hazelrig Enterprises provides guest servicing and management, and property management to owners, but Hazelrig Enterprises is not a maintenance company. Our employees are not trained contractors or repair people. We handle a 24/7 call center, reservations management, guest support, regular housekeeping scheduling and inspections, dispatch of qualified maintenance personnel, monitor internet up-time, indoor temperature when equipped, pool temps when equipped, maintain electronic locks, etc. During inspections we will restock consumable items like soap, toilet paper, shampoo, and even perform simple maintenance like changing remote control batteries or light bulbs for lamp fixtures or ceilings 8’ or lower in height if spares are available on site.

· Hazelrig Enterprises can manage as much or as little at your home as you like. We typically take care of things like changing your air filters, batteries and light bulbs changed each month. Simple visits to do your maintenance for you are billed at about $10/visit, more complex are billed at the cost for the contractor. Any repair item over $250 requires owners consent/involvement.

What about other odd-jobs, what else can Hazelrig Enterprises do?

· We have managed everything from interior decorating, to full furniture ordering and delivery, to some small remodel work. Simple errand running and small ordering and delivery are billed at about $20/task, more complex items can be discussed depending on the job and can range up to 20%.

How do you handle security deposits and damage?

· Research shows guests are far less likely to book a rental if a security deposit is required. HomeAway expects large adoption of this and Hazelrig Enterprises wants to take advantage of this trend. Hazelrig Enterprises requires each guest to purchase a minimum $1,500 damage waiver. This enables owners to rest assured damage is covered. However, owners should expect that from time-to-time normal wear-and-tear will happen outside the policy. A standard in the property management industry is to withhold 4% of gross rents to cover the costs of small items, however we do not do this. Owners should expect every now and then they might have to replace a fork or knife, do some touch-up painting, replace a sink or shower fixture, etc. All homes experience periodic maintenance. Guests do sign a contract committing to paying for damage via their credit card on file, and there are strict policies when additional cleaning is needed as well.

Often we are asked what types of things are replaced under this policy. Generally a good rule of thumb is that well-maintained, durable items in good working condition, that are damaged as a result of a guest’s actions are covered. The damage waiver is not a guarantee that nothing will ever be broken or stop working in your home. It is intended to be replace broken or damaged items that resulted from a guest making a mistake.

Everything from small appliances, to plumbing fixtures, furniture and electronics eventually wear-out. If a guest drops a blender and it smashes on the floor, the damage protection kicks in! But if a guests is using a blender that is several years old and it just stops working, it is not replaced as part of the damage waiver. If a rug is dirty from regular foot traffic, it is not replaced as part of the damage waiver. If a guest spills an entire bottle of red wine on a rug, the damage waiver kicks in. If a guests sits down on an inexpensive couch and a leg breaks off, it is generally not their fault. If a guest spills pasta sauce all over it, then the damage waiver applies.

The damage waiver applies to most furniture as well, however it does not apply to things like fragile antique seating or dining tables, inexpensive plastic seating, furniture that is clearly old, worn, visibly weak or rusted. These are all items we highly recommend removing from a home for safety purposes. And while we love inexpensive furniture from Ikea or other discount stores, it is known not to be very durable. The damage waiver does not apply to furniture that is not designed to hold up to regular guest use, particularly MDF or plastic.

What if I want to stay there, how do I book for myself, friends or family?

· You can just call us and we will book the unit for you, or you can view your availability and book online through our Owner Net portal. There is obviously no charge for this and we even schedule cleaning when you leave so it is ready for the next guest. We bill you on your owner statement for the cleaning.

Owners Click HERE to Inquiry about listing with us!